I’ve recently tried food combining. I’ve been struggling with pesky digestive issues lately, and by lately I mean the past few years. So I decided to see if this method of eating would help my bloated belly feel better.
Spoiler alert! It did.
What is food combining? It is the belief that protein and starches digest at different rates and, if eaten together, cause a sludgy build up of undigested food in the gut. This build up can lead to an unhealthy gut, bad bacteria, disease and allergies.
There are a few major rules around food combining and here they are:
- Only eat fruit on an empty stomach, especially melons.
- Don’t combine starches and protein.
- Don’t combine starches with acidic food.
- Try not to combine too many different types of protein.
- Only consume dairy products on an empty stomach.
The last rule is to wait at least three hours ~ preferably four ~ between eating starch and protein.
This may sound like a lot of rules but food combining is relatively easy, and delicious, once you get used to it. And if you’re suffering from gut issues and their symptoms, it’s so worth putting the extra thought into your meal plans.
It can be as easy as eating that burger wrapped in lettuce “paleo style” or having your pasta dish with vegetable only tomato sauces.
The benefits of food combing is so worth the extra effort. Here are a few:
- Kick ass digestion
- Improved nutrient absorption
- Glowing skin
- In cases of overweight – weight loss
Who doesn’t want at least a few of these benefits?